What to Do After a Car Accident
Even the most minor of fender benders can be a jarring or life-altering experience. But there are ways in which Newton drivers can prepare themselves for what to do after a car accident. Sussex Honda has a checklist and important information from our service center about car accident insurance claims and more below.
What to Do After a Car Accident: Checklist for a Minor Accident
Car accidents are major events and should be treated very seriously. Remembering these steps in the rush of the moment in Sparta Twp can save you a lot of hassle down the road:
- Medical Attention: The absolute first priority should be the health and well-being of everyone involved. Check and see if anyone needs to get to a doctor.
- Pull Over: If you’re in good condition, move your vehicle to a safe spot on the side of the road before you handle any further complications.
- Call the Police: Don’t be persuaded to keep the police out of this — even the smallest accidents need to be documented. Oftentimes your insurer will require a police report before covering your damages.
- Contact Info: Exchange contact information with your fellow Hackettstown driver. Also get contact information for any witnesses of the accident. Finally, take photos of everyone’s insurance cards, licenses, and license plates.
- Assess and Document Damages: Use your phone or camera to thoroughly document the damages to your vehicle and the accident scene.
- Contact Insurance Provider: Do this as soon as you can so your car accident insurance claim can begin its process. These will help both with your insurer and when you contact a service center to schedule repairs.
What to Do After a Car Accident: Major Accidents
It’s hard to think straight in the event of a major accident, so try to keep these three important things in mind:
- Call 911 Immediately: You or someone else should call 911 so that police and ambulances rush to the scene of the accident. Not only will this ensure everyone’s safety as much as possible, but it’ll also help with documentation.
- Contact Your Insurer: A car accident insurance claim for a major accident can be a hassle. If you’re unable to call your insurer, try to get someone else to do so. Afterward, you should follow up with your insurer on your own.
- Consider Your Health: Injuries from major car accidents are no joke, and you should keep in contact with a physician for a while afterward to make sure you’re on the road to recovery.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim
Knowing how to file a car insurance claim before anything bad happens can ease your stress. When you call your insurance provider, have the following information ready:
- Your Personal Information: Your insurance policy number, contact info, and driver’s license info.
- Personal Information of Other Drivers: Your insurer will want information from all involved parties.
- Description/Location of the Accident: You will need to say where, when, and how the accident occurred as exactly as possible.
- Police Information: You’ll also need information about the police department and maybe even the police report number.
- Photos: Those photos you took will be very useful for your insurer. There’s also a chance that your insurer will ask to inspect the vehicle in person.
Get more Tips from Sussex Honda
Sometimes, it’s hard to know what to do in an accident or how to file a car insurance claim. Sussex Honda wants to help Newton and Denville drivers with all their needs, providing tips and tricks on parts and other services like how to check your transmission fluid or choosing between a hand car wash or touchless car wash. Contact us with any questions today!
More from Sussex Honda
The 2022 Honda Accord offers several different configurations for you to choose from so that you can find the right setup for your Sparta Twp lifestyle. Fortunately, each of the new Honda Accord trim levels has something to love. Whether you’re interested in a vehicle with the latest technology or prefer something that’s budget-conscious, there’s likely…
The 2022 Honda Ridgeline is the perfect companion for drivers like you looking for a capable and comfortable truck on Sparta Twp adventures. It features exceptional interior technology and comfort without sacrificing versatility and performance, making it a fantastic option to take on almost any job. While power and capability are a strong suit for…
The 2022 Honda Passport TrailSport takes the already capable Honda Passport and adds even more versatility for your Sparta Twp adventures. With styling and rugged upgrades available all throughout, the new Honda Passport TrailSport will be ready to explore off the beaten path. Combine that exceptional performance with the incredible cabin, and you’ve got a family-friendly…